Pages

Friday, February 6, 2009

Behind the Curtain

I finished working on 1 of 2 make-shift curtained puppet theaters for use with the smaller, hand puppets. The whole thing is made of pre-fab, sheer curtains and PVC piping, and I'm taking it to No Shame Theater tonight, Friday 2/6, 10pm @ SVT. The puppets are still works in progress so I'm not sure what to do about that. Maybe Gene would be okay with me using his little IKEA puppets. Hm. It's good to have these deadlines to work towards. I'm definitely seeing that unless I give a day focus on puppets, not much gets done. I'm going to perform (something) with improv puppets in No Shame this Friday 2/6, as well as the first Friday in March, 3/6. Hopefully it will help train me to keep the puppet motion limited, but big.

I've had some good advice about what to do from Asaf Ronen, Topping Haggerty, Craig Kotfas, and Shana Merlin. I am going to try to play with:
- starting with a strong, philosophical statement
- going slow
- treating the puppets as actors
- status
- dubbing
- showing different emotions
- being "charming"
- involving the audience
- being on stage with the puppet
- being behind the puppet theater curtain

We'll see. I only have 5 minutes, so I may only get a chance to do a few of those things this month. If it goes well, maybe I could do a couple of 5 min scenes. Hm.

No comments:

Post a Comment